The following describes the criteria in which a person can be registered as a New Zealand rugby member.
- A volunteer who is not a referee or coach is eligible to register as a volunteer/administrator if they provide a service to a New Zealand Rugby Union affiliated Provincial Rugby Union, rugby club or school.
- A junior player must be aged 19 or under and play four or more games on at least four or more separate playing days for a junior or secondary school grade in a rugby competition, or a rippa rugby competition if playing for a primary school or under 8 Saturday morning rugby, under the control and jurisdiction of their provincial rugby union.
- A junior player that plays in a rippa-rugby competition for a secondary school is NOT eligible for registration.
- Senior players must be aged 16 or over and play four or more games on at least four or more separate playing days in a club grade above under 19 level in a rugby competition under the control and jurisdiction of their Provincial Rugby Union.
- A senior player that plays in a rippa rugby competition is NOT eligible for registration.
- An active referee must belong to a Provincial Rugby Union or referee organisation under the control and jurisdiction of a Provincial Rugby Union.
- An active referee must hold a current RugbySmart Accreditation.
- An active referee can referee any grade as determined by the Provincial Rugby Union they are registered to.